Saturday, December 17, 2011

Room with a View

On a previous post I mentioned our living in an apartment.  I haven't lived in a high-rise apartment since Hawaii.  Our "apartment" in Connecticut was only two floors, ours here is nine. That takes some getting used to, especially coming back with bags of groceries.

It's a typical city apartment.  Huge concrete building.  Echoing halls.  Metal front doors that clang like a cell block.  Fluorescent lighting.  Fourteen hundred square feet of living space... on a good day.  We are still digging ourselves out of boxes.  We've even rented a storage unit on the other side of base.  A storage unit is a rarity in Tokyo, so we are lucky. 

It's not the ideal home, but when you factor in where we are, then it's easier to swallow. I've needed to stop comparing our apartment here in Tokyo to the homes of our friends stateside.  We will one day own our dream home but for now we get to travel the world.  Somedays, I feel the walls moving in on me but then I look out our window and see this...


That's a view of Mt. Fuji from "A"'s bedroom window this morning.  I guess I can take living in a small apartment when I can wake up to a view like this every so often.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment