Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Fussa Festival

We are at the two and a half week mark in Japan and we are heading out to our first "event".  Sunday had us attending the annual Fussa Festival right outside the base.  I believe (and I'm probably wrong) it celebrates the friendship between Yokota AB and the outlying community of Fussa-shi.


We parked close to the Fussa gate and walked along Route 16 where the festivities were being held.  There was a parade along Route 16 which included an antique car club.  I wish my uncles could have seen the cars coming down.


Different parts of Yokota AB were represented in the parade also.


Between the store fronts, there was a little children's play area with little tchotchke & food vendors...


Along with the celebrity tortoise.  I believe they said he's 100 years old so I'm sure he's an old pro at these types of events.


At another area, there was music and food vendors from both on base and off.


I, of the daring palate, decided on takoyaki aka octopus balls.  This is one of those things that it is better to say its Japanese name.  The name "octopus balls"seems to freak people out.  It's actually a very popular street food here in Japan and very delicious.  Takoyaki is a SMALL piece of cooked octopus dipped in a batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan.  It's kind of like a round donut pan and the batter texture is similar to Okinawan donuts, if you've had that, but the takoyaki is savory.  Doug and "A" had some grilled chicken on a stick.  I'll get them to eat takoyaki one day.


We then walked along Route 16 to people and culture watch.  Doug has a small obsession with the drink machines which can be found along every street.  Not necessarily by a building, just randomly placed along the sidewalk.  Here's "A" by, what else, a Coca-Cola vending machine in honor of her Papa, Kit "Coca-Cola Boss Man of the Pacific" McClure! Most vending machines offer cold & hot beverages.  Now that's customer service.  


As for me, I am amazed at the amounts of bicycles here.  I am even more amazed when I see these tiny women riding around with their two children on their bikes, one in the front & one in the back.  Here is a typical bicycle.  Of course, with the amounts of bikes on the road it makes me extra nervous driving around on the roads.


Over all it was a great day.  We ventured outside the gate, got to experience the surrounding community, ate some Japanese food, and spent a great together as a family.  IN JAPAN!









No comments:

Post a Comment